Tuesday, September 19, 2006

vietnam veteran memorial


see the slideshow here

i finally finished the slideshow that i've been working on for my dad for his birthday. let me know what you think! they are of pics that i took last summer when we visited the traveling vietnam wall. my dad is a vietnam veteran. he voluntarily joined the army very young and eventually ended up fighting in the war. when he arrived in vietnam, a friend of his, richard mckinney, said to him ; "rollins (my dads last name) , stay with me and i'll keep you safe".
neither of them knew how prophetic that would end up being. one day they were ambushed by the enemy and came under very heavy fire. after making it to "safety", the next morning they went out to do a body count. while on their way back they noticed something in the bushes (i'm not sure what, whether it was a person , trap, or whatever). at that moment , richard mckinney said to my dad, "rollins, watch out" and jumped in front of him to shield him from the attack (again, not sure at this point if this was fire they were under or if something had exploded or what). by mckinney jumping in front of my dad to sheild him, mckinney not only saved my dad's life but unfortunately also took the brunt of the attack and died in the hospital a few days later as a result of his injuries. this slideshow is in tribute to him and in honor of my dad and all others....

No comments: